Luminate is the world’s largest business accelerator for optics, photonics, and imaging (OPI) startups.
We’re bringing entrepreneurs from around the world together with OPI pioneers and qualified investors to speed innovation and time to market. We’re also helping early-stage startups gain clear competitive advantages.
Since joining Luminate, we have raised over $5M in new funding. The program has been instrumental in our growth.
Dimitri Chernyak, CEO, Intelon Optics
Cohort I $500K winner
Three-month programs aren’t sufficient. Luminate gave us more time, along with the business tools and 1:1 coaching to bring all the pieces together.
Leslie Kimerling, CEO, Double Helix
Cohort I $1M winner
Luminate allowed me to do something more for my business that I couldn’t do myself.
Jason Babcock, CEO, Positive Science
Cohort I $250K winner
Tap Into the Optics and Imaging Capital of the World
The Rochester and Finger Lakes region offers a high concentration of OPI resources ideal for launching a business. We’re home to:
- The most OPI patents in the nation (#1 per capita, with 95% of OPI patent holders still in Rochester)
- 150+ growing OPI companies, generating $3B in annual sales and employing 17,000
- University of Rochester’s Institute of Optics (which produces 60% of the Optics PhDs in the nation)
- The nation’s Laboratory for Laser Energetics
- The American Institute for Manufacturing Integrated Photonics (AIM Photonics)
- Rochester Institute of Technology’s Chester F. Carlson Center for Imaging Science (one of two schools in U.S. to offer this)
- The most robust, highly integrated optics, photonics, and imaging supply chain in the nation
But it’s not all science here. Our space is smack dab in the heart of Rochester’s downtown area where some of the best entertainment, festivals, and food truck rodeos take place. It’s also close to Finger Lakes country, full of parks, breweries, vineyards, and sightseeing opportunities.
Be in Good Company
Luminate is a $25 million program funded by Empire State Development’s Finger Lakes Forward Initiative. The program is administered by NextCorps, and supported by a host of participating partners.
Meet the Team
We’re committed to redefining what’s possible in accelerator programs, and in a wide range of markets.